Monday, February 14, 2011

"you should be kissed, and often by someone who knows how.."

Happy Valentines Day, friends!

(...or for those of you who are not so much of a fan of this 'scam' of a holiday, or could really care less: Happy Monday, the sun is shining and roses are overrated anyways!)

However in light of this commercially puffed-up, lets-buy-my-sweetheart-some-overpriced-chocolate-in-the-shape-of-a-heart "holiday", I thought I would devote a special blog to the art of...kissing.

If you've seen the movie "Gone with the Wind", you know that it is about a bewildered love affair. There's love, there's hate, there is everything in between. However, this movie has one of my absolute favorite quotes of all time. This is when Rhett Butler says to Scarlett, "You should be kissed and often by someone who knows how". Rhett sure had the right idea in saying this, but little did he know at the time, that there is an actual scientific explanation to the 'know-all' of kissing. While I am sure that this is not news to some of you, in honor of Valentines day, lets re-explore these ideas that have dated far, far back into the history of man...even before Rhett declared his love to Scarlett, the first time.

So as I was perusing on the internet this morning, I found a very interesting blog post written by a writer for The New Yorker, Jenny Hendrix. In this blog post of hers, she discusses an interview she had with Sheril Kirshenbaum, the author of a book titled, "The Science of Kissing". I found this to be very interesting, it definitely caught my attention and unfortunately, it also bore some details about kissing that I didn't necessarily want to discover. Don't worry.. they're not THAT bad. :)


If you happen to have special plans today with your Valentine, go ahead and read this article...I am sure it will bring a whole new meaning to smooching on your special someone. If you don't have plans, read it anyways, its a fun and quick read.



No comments:

Post a Comment